Temporary sleep apnea is the repeated collapse of the upper respiratory tract (including the nasopharynx, oropharynx, and larynx) when a person sleeps, which blocks the respiratory tract and causes shallow breathing and labor. In more severe cases, the airway becomes complete. Blocked, causing inhalation of air and asphyxiation.
What are the benefits of treating sleep apnea?
1. Eliminate bad snoring, breathlessness, abnormal awakening, frequent urination and other symptoms during sleep, improve the quality of sleep for yourself and your bed partner, and enhance the quality of life during the day. It can increase mental clarity, improve work efficiency, and significantly reduce accidental disasters caused by dozing off during work or driving, and ensure life safety.
2. Reduce the chance of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, can significantly reduce complications such as heart disease, arrhythmia, stroke and sudden death during sleep, and reduce the chance of death.
3. For patients with high blood pressure or diabetes, it is easier to control the condition and even reduce the dosage of medication.
4. Slowing down the degeneration of brain cognitive function, such as memory degeneration, may reduce or delay the occurrence of Alzheimer’s disease.
Combining the above benefits, it can reduce the need for people to take care of you or your family due to accidents, heart attacks, or strokes that are paralyzed or unsuccessful. It should greatly reduce the need for hospitalization or even nursing care for yourself or your family members. Related costs. It can also reduce the situation of making mistakes due to poor mentality at work, being caught by the boss when dozing off, and often needing to take leave due to illness of oneself or family members!
◎How to treat sleep apnea?
1. Lose weight. For those who are overweight, weight loss is the only non-invasive treatment that has proven effective in eradicating sleep apnea, and it is also the first necessary element for the treatment of sleep apnea.
2. Do not drink alcoholic beverages four hours before going to bed, avoid using sedatives and sleeping pills before going to bed, and quit smoking.
3. Sleep on your side. In some patients, sleep apnea is more likely to occur when sleeping on their backs, while the incidence of sleep apnea will decrease when sleeping on their sides.
4. People with nasal congestion can use drugs to relieve nasal congestion, which can sometimes reduce the degree of sleep apnea, and can also increase the comfort and effect of continuous positive airway pressure.
5. Use a continuous positive airway pressure respirator while sleeping. This is currently the standard treatment for adult sleep apnea.
6. Oropharyngeal Plastic Surgery (Including Suspended Clumsy Plastic Surgery, Tonsillectomy Surgery… etc.). It has a more obvious effect on snoring. In certain patients with sleep apnea, the degree of occurrence can be reduced, while in a small number of patients, it can be cured, but the recurrence rate may be higher.
7. Oral braces braces. It can reduce snoring and reduce the occurrence of sleep apnea, and in a small number of patients, it can eliminate sleep apnea.
8. Facial plastic surgery or tracheal surgery. For patients with craniofacial defects, it is the first choice, but for other non-craniofacial defects, it is the last-line treatment.
There are many treatment methods, and different treatment methods should be selected for each person’s different situations, or even used in combination. What is certain is that if it is sleep apnea of moderate severity or higher, if there is no treatment, the chance of disability or death due to complications such as accidents, strokes, and myocardial infarction within two years is several times that of the treated group. , So please be patient and receive treatment.
In addition to medical treatment, we can also monitor our sleep state through smart watches. Prevent sleep apnea in advance.
Sleep apnea occurs during a person’s sleep period. When the human body enters the sleep state, the external perception is in a kind of closed state, and we cannot perceive it. But we can use smart watches with sleep monitoring function to monitor our sleep state, such as Veepoo watch RIG, HUAWEI watch3, Apple watch, Xiaomi, Huami and other smart watches can monitor our sleep state.
We must pay attention to our sleep breathing state to avoid the harm caused by sleep apnea.